Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Marketing Wins

Allow me today to focus on a non-technical subject but very much related to the purpose of SEO

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
In other words:
If nobody knows about your product/service who cares if it's the best?
That's actually my "twisted interpretation" for this post but I hope I made my point across :)

The purpose of SEO is to make your site more visible (ie. popular) so more customers know about your product. Then marketing takes over to convert that visitor into a customer.

So if you focus only on getting a better product/service than your competition I would say that you are setup for failure.Actually marketing is as important (if not more) than the product itself.

In this day and age, quality is expected. So focus only on quality products or services are not going to drive sales. Therefore you have to work in getting the word out. For example:

Watch this video:



I do like rap and R&B but I really do not see much quality on this particular song. So what could you do to promote it?

What about piggybacking on a celebrity to work with your song, remix it and promote it in mainstream areas?




Interestingly enough I found this new version to be better. In fact this new version is even more popular than the original.

And what has this to do with SEO you wonder. Translated into Search Engine terms:

When you want to promote your piece of content, try to give it a twist, add some related content, try to link it with recent popular events that can make your content viral and SEO the whole thing.


Who knew that Mr. Snoop Dogg would teach me SEO?? ;)

All the best,
~ Mike